Thursday 10 March 2011

Take 5 - My environment

Okay, today I tried making opacity maps for 2D objects, and I first practised on,..well pikachu.

To do this I first had to make a plain in 3DS Max, which I made perfectly square, as Pikachu was also perfectly square so when I put the texture on it would fit. I had to import 2 textures, one for the diffuse texture and the other for the opacity map, above are them 2 images, I exported the coloured one as a JPEG and the other as a Bitmap, I just made it black so the background in the coloured one wouldn't show in 3DS Max.

Above is a 2D Pikachu in 3DS max as a sort of cut out, although it doesn't look like it, technically Pikachu is now in 3D. It is 2 sided, to do this I just checked the box in the texture menu that said "2 Sided".



Above is another try at opacity maps, all I did was take the render of my environment, when it was slightly purple and like Pikachu imported it into PhotoShop and turned it black and white using a colour overlay and imported them into 3DS Max onto a plain that fit. I did this to make my environment look longer than it actually is and provide background inside my sky box.
Above is how I set it all up and when rendered, you can see how the opacity map works.
I do like it but when creating my sun I found it harder, to set a camera that allowed me to see the sun and not the background, basically it was in the way, so I don't think I will use it...

Right I had a funny idea, well call it inspiration, but while making these 2D objects, I recalled a certain game "Magicka" on "Steam for £7.99", uses cut out sheep and cows in there 3D environments, and I thought I would do the same, but because it has to be original, I drew a horse,,,..I mean unicorn in PhotoShop, I then made it into a opacity map using the same technique.
And above is the finished product in 3DS Max and I put 2 3D basic primitives in it so you can see it better.And I thought that my environment needed some cheering up so I put a few in there and excluded them from the main light source and gave them there very own spotlight, so there see-able.

No comments:

Post a Comment