Wednesday 9 March 2011

Take 1 - My environment

Hello and it is finally time i posted some more to do with my environment project, okay well creating a displace map for a plain was my first task, and it was the last lesson of the week so I wasn't really up to it.

The first image shows my lack off inspiration and more of a talent in abstract art, as you may well know or in my case might not know, the colour white produces peaks in 3DS Max and not the other way round. Well the badly drawn lines are suppose to be path ways...HA.
Now after the initial shock I got when I found it was all wrong, I drew a clear path from one side of my environment to the other, and my presumably sink holes where now mountains, the black squiggly line would be the pathway to the train that would later be integrated into my environment.I thought that there wasn't enough flat land, so I got help from an auto shape and made it black so I could later make buildings and insert them, to make a city of some sorts.

Now when texturing i though Fuk it and went crazy, I basically throw my previous planning away, and because home time was on the horizon i rushed it. Although I did use plenty of noise in PhotoShop and I created the cracks using a brush and put glow effects on them, Why for Fun. It did backfire as I made the file 5200x5200 to get more detail where I textured the environment, and the file ended up being 500Mb in size and rendered JPEGs at 35Mb each. I will also mention it took 10mins at a time to open and save...Oh Dear
Now this is a screen shot of the result of the above displace map with the also above texture, and I was too ashamed to show my environment from above, so I got the best angle and..., well, that should do. It looks good because I put a Turbo smooth on it to get rid of the pointy bits, they are still there just you cant see them...Strangely enough I liked the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment