Monday 1 February 2010

A boring night in what do I do, Calligraphy

Helloooo, during one of my crazy alnighter's I decided I'd do something different and after looking in a few boxes I found my old calligraphy set, and I've never actual tried it before, but a thought it was just a fancy way of writing.... turns out it is pretty hard. Now after a bit of reading I decided to try the Sho-do styles of calligraphy, which are just types of handwriting. Oh, because I was stupid enough to think it was easy, I ended up wasting all my calligraphy paper, (see Above) so when I actual got better I had nothing to draw on, so I ended up writing in an old school exercise book.


Above is my try at the Sho-do style Kai-Sho, which is basically the more oftenly used one in modern china and Japan.
This style is a faster version, called Gyo-Sho. According to me book, the most important thing in mastering calligraphy is posture because you have to hold the brush upright.
This is the most impressive type of Sho-do named So-sho which looks like a load of scribbles, but is actual the hardest one to master. Oh by the way all the previous three symbols read "Mizu" which in English mean Water. To actually get started you need an ink stick/Sumi, Ink Grinding Stone/Suzuri, Brush/Fude, a water bowl and finally some calligraphy paper or newspaper will work. I recommend you give it a go it's a lot of fun, but not fricking cheap.......




No comments:

Post a Comment