Wednesday 10 February 2010

Another Evaluation

Unit 63 assignment 4 LO4 - Reflect upon own web animation work

In this project I was instructed to create a web based animation for a company of my choice, which I eventualy chose the Limited company 'Studio Deen', who produce and out source Japanese Anime.I began this project by researching actionscripts for use in Adobe Flash, after getting a basic understanding of how actionscripts work, I browsed the Internet for already configured actionscripts to use for my animation, while planning I had originally thought everything out, but like always nothing went to plan, because I ran in to problems at every step. My original plan was to create a series of puzzle games connected though a leveling system and include a platform to make my game more appealing to my audiance. I new this wouldn't be easy, but even with tutorials and completed actionscripts the completion of a fully functional platform would take too much time for me to finish. I decided to stick with the idea of having a couple of easy to make puzzle games connected by a menu instead of my previous leveling idea. I didn't use most of my concept images because I believed them to look unprofessional and thought I could do a better job second time round. Although I did keep the original title name of "Puzzle Parody" and the start screen image which I edited. (See Below) The creation of most of my graphics were done in Adobe Photoshop including the buttons on the menu, the backgrounds were completed using default ASL styles in Photoshop, the images were found on the Internet and then I used a layer effect "Bevel and Emboss" to make the images look 3D.

Sources;
Pikachu : http://www.pokemon-pearl-diamond.com/characters/pikachu.jpg
Frog : http://www.davinasteel.com/gallery/portfolio%20frog.jpg

Text was also imported to give the buttons an authentic look, the Studio Deen avatar pictured at the top was used consistently, apart from the button I used it as a background for one of my games and also in my visual themes, which I used in my main game. As you can see the three buttons were imported into flash along with my other title screen which was completely original, I used Flash to fade the title in and out and then fade in the menu, the buttons were then connected to there respective games via action scripts. My main game is shown by the size of the button as it is bigger than the others. The main game has more interactivity as it was constructed using Actionscript 3 which allows you to do more while the other two were created using Actionscript 2 which is more restricted with its effects. The first game which I named "Space Frog", this animation is more of an interactive animation rather than a game, it is a continuous interaction with a Space Invader like actionscript which instead of a spaceship has a frog and smaller frogs that represent enemies. The frogs were created in Photoshop using simple 2D shapes and colour fills, which were then imported to Flash and made into Movie Clips. The Second game named "Pikachu Maze Game" which is basically a maze but if you were to go out of you would be brought to the beginning, the avatar is a GIF, which is controlled by the arrow keys. There really isn't a end but I think it is enjoyable. The thrid and final game is my main game with a theme which is associated with Studio Deen the animation is an avoidance game while the enemy, avatar, and backgrounds had anime characters that were produced by Studio Deen.
This image was used as a animated clock on the bottom right of the game screen, it is from the Japanese anime Hell Girl. Studio Deen were the Animation Producers. Source: http://www.seeklogo.com/images/H/Hell_Girl_fire_symbol-logo-A76EC49CC0-seeklogo.com.gif

This is the avatar used in my main game and is one of the main protagonists named Sachiko Ogasawara from the anime Maria-Sama Ga Miteru. Studio Deen were the animators. Source: http://yasashiisekai.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/sei-yumi-sachiko.jpg


This image is the head of Bomberman, who plays the enemy of my game. Studio Deen were the Animation Producers. Source: http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation/Classic_&_Puzzle/Puzzle_Games/bomberman_pe_profilelarge.jpg


I think I managed my time efficiently, as at first I had planned everything out, so my previous problem was then addressed. My time was spilt into fours sections as pictured. (below)

The creation stage was also split into sections, which included three stages the editing and creation of images in Photoshop the importing and arrangement in Flash and finally the writing of actionscripts.

My audience is a Japanese audience that enjoy anime, I believe that because I have Incorporated a lot of anime characters and themes, so I know it is appropriate, and therefore hope to attract my intended audience, which tents to be a young male audience.

I came across a lot of difficulties which included the actual upload of my finished animation, because the completed animation contained 24 files; 4 Swf files, 2 MP3s and 18 AS files this was a problem as all files had to be together for the game to work, but it was hard to find the right site to upload all files that allow them to communicate with each other, but after a while I did manage to find a site to upload the animation, Find it here at; http://Helix.fileave.com/GameMenu.swf

Another one of my problems happened earlier on in the creation of the game, I didn't know how to connect my main game to my menu because actionscript 3 worked differently than actionscript 2. In the end I didn't find out how to do it in time for the assessment but will complete it down the line.

My inspiration for this project came from "Studio Deen" as there site didn't have really any interactivity apart from the menu, but being a follower and admirer of there work I decided to make this the company to base my game on. http://www.deen.co.jp/

Another thing that inspired me was the art style used to portray anime characters known as "Chibi" meaning small, this adds a humorous quality.As you can see there pretty cute and inspired me to use a chibi version of Sachiko Ogasawara for my avatar.

Finally to finish this evaluation if I were to do this project again I would do more research to allow my knowledge to expand to create something of better quality.

1 comment:

  1. well done. this is a very thorough evaluation. your game is also very well designed and fun to play.

    ReplyDelete