Thursday 17 June 2010

Evaluation U64+U65

First lets start by saying that this unit was the hardest to accomplished but definitely very entertaining. My original idea was to create a star ship that was similar in looks to the Naboo Star Fighter from Star Wars. (see below to view my efforts)



Even though I had created a perfectly good model for animating, I had already begun to create more 3D models from basic primitives. I felt I could do better so I tried to create something original rather than recycle used ideas.This was one of my first efforts on an original space ship, but I was really experimenting with bend modifiers which I used on the wings to give the space ship it's character. Once I had experimented I decided to use this knowledge to create a final model that I would use for the animation stage for this project. So my original intentions were constantly being changed and therefore are completely different from the my first idea.
This was the final model and below is the verifications I made to my model and how my model slowly but surely started to be something I was happy with. I insisted my ship would have a force field but I was unsure how it would look, I would achieve the force field by having a textured shape at low opacity to give the effect I wanted. The texture of the force field changed many times from textures found on the web to completely original ones made in Adobe Photoshop, to achieve the original concept that I was hoping for I decided to go with an original texture made with different varieties of Photoshop brushes.
I slowly began adding accessories to my models like guns, engines and internal dampeners
Then I went on creating a texture for the actual spaceship, I decided to use an inbuilt black gradient because of my complicated shape it was near impossible to texture using a UVW unwrap modifier.As you can see I have assigned a glass texture to faces using multi texturing, to create the window to the cockpit. To do this I had to set each face as a individual object and attach the texture using a material ID.
The final modifications to my spaceship where small, I created new guns and engines and changed the shape of the cockpit window to give the spaceship a more alien look.
Next I would have to create a environment for my space ship which I would also animate to add a more professional standard to my animation. I did experiment but quickly came up with a final idea, which was a hyperspace gate inspired by the Megagate from the American scifi show Stargate.
I created 3 rings to the hyperspace gate and animated each of the rings the move in the opposite directions to each other, I also created a centre to the gate using the same texture as my force field. For the effect I had a go at lens effects and trtied adding a glow effent to my spaceship, and twined with a bomb effect when the spaceship made contact with the bomb a flash of light appeared giving the effect of going through hyperspace. I finished the animation by having a camera follow my ship through the effects. (see below)


The problems with the finished animation was lighting, the effect I tried to gain with the glow backfired and distort the animation and after the space jump it becomes too dark too see the spaceship, and finally the spaceship is black so its hard to see it against the background. So I fixed these problems with my final render.

I fixed these problems by creating omni lights around my environment and I kept the bomb and got rid of all lens effects to keep the animation smooth and I changed the colour of the spaceship to a metallic purple so its easier to spot.


Comparing to a professional example of a 3D spaceship, I find that mine is better but to be honest I think that my spaceship is too simple as the profession example is more detailed which gives it a more realistic look, And the background makes the 3D model stand out while mine hides it. I do think that I've come a long way since my first days in 3Ds Max and believe in time I will be making 3D models just as good as that.




The target audience I'm trying to aim at, is the sci-fi fanatics basically because its a spaceship, the fans are usually male between the ages of 16 and 34. To appeal to my audience I used some originality with my spaceship and used the hyperspace gate to add some familiarity to the animation.

My weak points tend to be with the effects of 3D max, the modelling stage I think is my strongest point. If I were to do this unit again I would create a more detailed spaceship in parts and attach them later so I can spend time to detail each and every part of a spaceship, I would also use a brighter background to show off the model.




No comments:

Post a Comment